Your Heart Chakra, is the sacred bridge that unites the physical world with the spirit world, linking the mind, body and spirit. This chakra helps you to feel love, connection and compassion. Easily able to give and receive love to yourself and to others. There are several ways that you can care for your heart chakra. Such as affirmations, meditation, loving acts, forgiveness, crystals and essential oils. Today we will focus on the practice of aromatherapy. Here are 15 essential oils for the heart chakra that will help to balance, heal and align your heart energy.
No time to read the full article?
Top 15 Heart Chakra Essential Oils At A Glance
- Rose Essential Oil
- Neroli Essential Oil
- Mandarin Essential Oil
- Melissa Essential Oil
- Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Jasmine Essential Oil
- Chamomile Essential Oil
- Bergamot Essential Oil
- Marjoram Essential Oil
- Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Yarrow Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Loving Compassion (Heart Chakra) Essential Oil
Why Use Essential Oils For Balancing The Heart Chakra?
Aromatic plant essential oils have been studied extensively, and can have a profound influence on the mind, body, and spirit. Using specific oils to balance your 4th energy center, will help to clear out old stuck energy and restore harmonious flow. Opening you up to experience deeper feelings of love, compassion and joy.
Signs Of A Balanced Heart Chakra
- Able to easily give and receive love
- A deeper sense of gratitude, patience and contentment
- Strong sense of caring, empathy and compassion for others and yourself
- Able to easily exude happiness and joy
- Able to receive support
- The ability to prioritize your needs and set clear boundaries with others
- Forgiving and able to easily let go of past hurts and grudges
Symptoms of a Imbalanced Heart Chakra
- Depressed, withdrawn or shut down
- Lacking empathy
- Jealous, suspicious or controlling
- Judgemental and overly critical of yourself and / or others
- Unable to give or receive unconditional love
- Excessive Loneliness
- Loss of a sense of identity
- People pleasing, co-dependent, unable to set personal boundaries or overgiving at your own personal expense
15 Beautiful Essential Oils for Balancing the Heart Chakra
When we first think of the rose romance and love come right to mind. With its connection to being a symbol of love, it’s no wonder that rose essential oil is wonderful for harmonizing the heart chakra.
Rose oil is considered one of the most spiritually valuable oils with one of the highest vibrational frequencies. When used to balance the heart chakra, it can help to clear negative energy and promote love and positive connection and unconditional love.
Rose awakens our capacity for self-love, self-compassion and self-nurturing when we are dealing with emotional wounds. Nourish your sense of self love and compassion and heal emotional wounds. Lift depression and support you during times of emotional distress and anxiety.
When used as a chakra oil, Neroli is perfect for harmonizing and opening your energetic flow. Calming the mind, balancing the emotions and strengthening the spirit. Derived from the blossoms of the bitter orange tree, Neroli oil is comforting, encouraging confidence, joy and peace.
With strong hypnotic and sedative properties, this oil is a natural tranquilizer and regulator of the nervous system. Neroli oil can be used to calm anxiety and induce a peaceful night’s sleep. Its also excellent for healing the heart after trauma, depression or during an emotional crisis.
The essential oil of the mandarin is sweet, calming and joyful to the spirit. This is a wonderful oil to use to heal from a break up. Or anytime that you are feeling a sense of disconnection or stressed and heavy hearted.
Mandarin has been found to be a powerful sedative and has anti-anxiety properties that calm the mind and the body. Its calming effects help to reduce anxious thoughts and stress, while helping to fight depression.
Also known as lemon balm oil, and the “Elixir of Life”. This oil has a delicate, grassy and sweet lemon fragrance, often described it as the “essence of spring.” With hypnotic and calming properties it helps to calm the nervous system and can support those who suffer from insomnia.
When used as a heart chakra oil, Melissa is very good for balancing s the flow and energy of the body, mind and emotions. Use to soothe a broken heart and encourage a deeper sense of well being and self love. Melissa is a great choice to inspire joyfulness, harmony, warmth and inner peace.
Sandalwood oil is sweet and spicy and is helpful for releasing anxiety, healing, grounding and breaking down illusions. Use to cultivating a sense of inner peace and higher spiritual awareness. Great for using as a heart opener, helping to give insights to your blocks, and aligning you with your most authentic self. Ultimately, restoring the flow of giving and receiving unconditional love
Cedarwood essential oil aims to alleviate feelings of emotional heaviness and depression and has been used for thousands of years for calming effects. Its also excellent for clearing negativity and grounding you in positive energies, that are inspired and creative.
The aroma of this woodsy scented oil, is anti-inflammatory, and has sedative effect that helps to regulate and stabilizes sleep patterns. Use during a heart chakra meditation, for its relaxing and calming properties.
Jasmine is sweet, floral and warm. Jasmine helps to open the heart chakra by releasing negative energies and restoring the flow of joyful and uplifting energies. It’s a great oil when you need to let go of past hurts or to feel more love and compassion after heartbreak. Jasmine oil has natural sedative properties which can increase GABA activity in your brain and regulate the feelings of stress, anxiety and worrisome thoughts.
Another oil that is great to use in a chakra meditation has it offers a strong sense of awareness while helping you to be completely relaxed without feeling drowsy.
Perfect for connection, awareness and the presence.
Chamomile is a gentle with a warm sweet, almost apple like scent. Roman Chamomile is one of the most widely studied oils and has been used in plant theraphy for centuries. Its especiall well known for its soothing and sedative properties.
Chamomile decreases overthinking and worry so you can open up your heart and release the past. Use to calm anxieties and restore balance, and inner peace and harmony to the heart chakra. A natural mood booster, this oil promotes happiness and positivity energy. Roman Chamomile blends well with Bergamot, Jasmine, Lavender, Rose, and Ylang Ylang.
Bergamot has a spicy and slightly sweet smell and can help to open up the heart chakra by releasing feelings of overwhelm and stress. Bergamont, has been proven to assist in the lowering of cortisol levels.
Useful for boosting confidence, fighting fatigue while promoting positivity and lifting a negative mood. Is extremely versatile and you will see Bergamot on the list in many different aromatherapy blends.
We often think of Marjoram has a cooking herb but it also been seen as a symbol of love since ancient times. In Roman mythology, the goddess of love, Venus was said to have brought marjoram to earth as a reminder of her beauty. Both ancient Greeks and Romans used Marjoram to adorn bridal crowns in the wedding ceremony.
Marjoram can reduce cortisol levels associated with stress and promote relaxation. The harmonizing properties are helpful in opening the heart to experience a greater sense of self-love, inner peace and compassion.
Helichrysum, is also known as Everlasting Immortelle, and is a essential oil superstar. Helichrysum is restorative, grounding, calming and eases symptoms of depression, fear, and panic. It aides in softening a hardened heart allowing a greater sense of compassion, forgiveness and healing. Helichrysum mixes well lavender, frankincense and myrrh.
Sweet, citrusy and stimulating. though this oil is sometimes overlooked, it has been used in aromatherapy for many years to cut through confusion and bring clarity and focus to a busy cluttered mind. Studies have shown that lemon balances the Dopamine and Serotonin neurotransmitter systems, helping to decrease feelings of stress and calm anxiety.
For a blocked heart, it helps to overcome feelings of bitterness and uplift the spirit. Can be helpful to increase self awareness, and restore one’s sense of self love and self nurturing.
For the heart chakra, use yarrow oil to unite the mind and spirit and open the flow of the heart energies. Is useful in boosting intuition and self introspection. It’s grounding effects help to bring balance, stability and aid in the releasing of any old wounds that need healing.
Lavender is an incredible versatile and is one of the most widely used and useful oils to have in your essential oil tool kit. This chakra balancing oil helps to bring a sense of expanded awareness and perspective.
Is excellent for releasing fear and disconnection, restoring balance and inner peace throughout the body. Another oil that has been widely studied for it calming effects, it’s perfect to use anytime you are going to times of emotional distress or worry.
The final oil on our list is a blend from plant therapy that is both comforting and calming to the heart chakra. Aiming to create a synergy to ease past wounds and support the spirit. Working to calm and clear blocks, uplift the heart centre, calling in love and compassion. Invites in a joyful sense of connection and creates a deeper sense of self love and acceptance. This blend contains essential oils of Pink Grapefruit, Rhododendron, Bergamot, and Rose Otto.
10 Ways To Balance and Heal Your Heart Chakra
Besides using aromatherapy there are several other things you can do to open, balance and support your heart chakra.
1. Practice Self-love, Self-Nurturing and Self Compassion
- Incorporate daily self care into your life. Practice loving and accepting yourself in all ways.
- Set boundaries and make loving choices that honour your deepest needs and values.
- Bring awareness to your thoughts and be kind to yourself as you heal any negative self talk.
- Observe your emotions and allow yourself to feel and process them without judgement.
2. Practice Gratitude
- Start a gratitude journal. Gratitude is one of those things that you always hear is a good thing to do yet, many people find themselves dropping the habit shortly after picking it up. Gratitude has been studied extensively and has many benefits including helping to release toxic emotions that block us from connecting with truth and love. Don’t overthink your gratitude practice, even being thankful for the little things like fresh sheets or the smell of your morning coffee can make a big difference in shifting your emotions..
3. Try Colour Therapy
- Green is the traditional color associated with the fourth chakra, however pink can also be used to heal and open this energy center.
- Get out and connect with nature – sit under a tree, lay in the grass, breathe in the fresh air.
- Wear pink or green clothing.
- Eat healthy green foods like green smoothies, wheat grass juice, or green leafy vegetables like Kale and Watercress.
4. Practice Meditation
- A focused chakra meditation can be very helpful in restoring balance and harmony to your energy centers. In particular the loving kindness meditation, helps to open up the heart and cultivating the four qualities of love: friendliness (Metta), compassion (Karuna), appreciative joy (Mudita), and equanimity (Upekkha) for ourselves and others. This is a foundational practice that the more you do it, the more connected and joyful you will feel. Metta has been been studied over the years and has been found to have many proven benefits.
- Do a simple visualizon: Put your hand on your heart, and imagine a beautiful wheel of light spinning around clockwise. See is clearing and cleansing, expanding, getting brighter and brighter, feel the love growing and imagine the love expanding outward through your entire being.
- Try a Guided Chakra Healing Meditation – See our list of the 10 best here.
5. Crystal Healing
- Each chakra has a healing stones associated with it. Typically pink or green crystals such as Aventurine, Rose Quartz, Rhodonite, Malachite, Rhodonite, Emerald or Green Fluorite.
- To use Crystal healing for your heart chakra: Meditate while holding your favorite stone. Wear as jewelry or place strategically throughout your home.
6. Practice Forgiveness
- Being unable to forgive is one symptom of a blocked heart chakra. Practice the art of letting go and clear any past hurts, anger and regrets. Letting go doesn’t make what happened ok. It just means you are no longer making your past your future.
- Read a book on forgiveness – Radical Forgiveness by Colin Tipping or One of my all time favourites is Becoming Supernatural by Dr. Joe Dispenza. He talks alot about our emotional addictions to the past and gives advice to help overcome them. Check it out on Amazon here and here.
- Do a forgiveness ritual – I give this simple one to many of my love coaching clients. To begin write down the event that you want to let go of on a piece of paper. Include as many details as you can, for example why you’re angry, upset or sad. What you wished would’ve happened, what you learned and how you are now willing to let the past go. Meditate on it, light a candle then burn the letter (in a fire proof bowl outside) or rip it up.
Using positive affirmations are a way to release subconscious programming, old stuck energies and heal the past. Read more about affirmations for the heart chakra in our post here.
Some good affirmations for the heart chakra are:
- “I choose joy, compassion, and love.”
- “I am willing to love life and let life love me.”
- “I deeply, and completely, love and accept myself.”
- “I am living in balance, with grace and ease.”
- “I am open to love, and receive more of it every day.”
8. Heart Opening Yoga Poses
Yoga is a wonderful tool to open, balance and restore the harmonious flow of energy to your heart chakra. The best yoga poses for the heart chakra focus on opening the chest and then drawing new energy into the heart center. Heart openers include eagle, camel, wheel and cobra.
9. Let Your Heart Be Light
Engage in the energy of play! Let yourself be light-hearted and joyful. Find a reason to smile, laugh or be silly every day. Sometimes laughter really can be the best medicine.
10. Be The Love!
- Be the energy of love! Set an intention to make giving and receiving unconditional love to yourself and to others a regular practice.
- Practice compassion and volunteer to help others.
1. Aromatherapy and Subtle Energy Techniques: Compassionate Healing with Essential Oils by Joni Keim Loughran and Ruah Bull
Authors Joni Loughran and Rauh Bulls introduce beginners to the concepts of two forms of healing – Aromatherapy and Subtle Energy Techniques. How to use them to heal, and promote a sense of wholeness and well being. Includes a comprehensive reference section that lists the properties of many essential oils. Basic subtle energy techniques including an understanding of the chakra system in combination with essential oils.
2. Aromatherapy for the Soul: Healing the Spirit with Fragrance and Essential Oils by Valerie Ann Worwood
Written by renowned aromatherapist Valerie Ann Worwood Aromatherapy for the Soul is helpful for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of fragrance and spirituality. Filled with insights from spiritual teaches, modern mystics and pioneering scientific studies. She provides extensive guidelines detailing how fragrance can be used in many spiritual practices. Includes charts, exercises, and formulas that demonstrate the use of aromatherapy in healing, prayer, meditation and in conjunction with vibrational and energetic healing.
Athena Perrakis is an author and leading metaphysical teacher. In her Ultimate Guide to the Charkas she teaches beginners how to tap into the power of your chakras, so you can live a healthy, balanced, and more abundant life. Includes magical exercises for each chakra, meditations, journal exercises, and working with goddesses and spirit guides.
Resources For safe use of essential oils:
Its important to note that some oils do come with certain restrictions and warnings of who should and should not use them. If you’re interested in trying essential oils, consider purchasing essential oils with the following guidelines oils are:
- Harvested from a reputable source, are pure and have not been modified or altered, and organic (whenever possible).
- Have a label that lists all warnings and precautions this should include, notations such as interference with certain medications, age, children, pregnancy etc.). For an extensive list of safety guidelines check out the guidelines provided by The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy.
- If you enjoy using aromatherapy and want to connect with other users for more information try joining Facebook groups, Essential Oil Meet-Up Groups or board forums like Reddit, The Aromatherapy Place or My Essential Oils Forum.
At The End of The Day…
Using essential oils for the heart chakra is one way that you can nurture, balance and heal this important energy center. Use these wonderful oils anytime you want to get your heart energy flowing and feel more joyful. Supporting yourself with a stronger sense of love, compassion and connection to yourself and to others. Namaste!
You Might Also Enjoy
We hope you love these 15 essential oils for heart chakra. Save this list for later on Pinterest!
Some recommended products may use affiliate links. In particular as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This will not cost you anything or increase prices. This does not affect our reviews, which are as impartial as possible.