12 Inspiring benefits of morning meditation practice. Plus, tips for how to meditate in the morning.
Meditation is gaining popularity everyday and you’ve probably heard that its really good for you, but exactly what are the benefits? And when and how is the best time to meditate for the best results? Well it turns out, that there is an ideal time of day to get your zen on, and if you guessed the morning then you’re right! Here are the 12 inspiring benefits of meditation in the morning.
Since ancient times we’ve been told that the benefits of meditation are the best for you after a morning meditation session. Now, modern studies confirm this age old advice.
While you can meditate anyplace and anytime that you want, the ideal time for the most benefits is clear. If you want to experience reduced stress and anxiety, more focus, increased energy and an overall greater sense of happiness and calm, then meditating in the morning is a must.
12 Inspiring Benefits of Meditation in the Morning
1. Meditation In The Morning Starts Your Day on The Bright Side
These days it seems as if the second you wake up you’re immediately plunged into the perils of modern life. Checking email, social media and news feeds, all before you even get out of bed and have your first cup of coffee!
Meditating in the morning immediately nips tech overwhelm in the bud. Allowing you to start your day off with with an improved sense of well-being and calm that lasts through whatever life decides to throw at you that day!
2. Builds Your Focus Muscle
Meditating in the morning helps you to build your “focus muscle” and carries that improved focus through out your day. Studies have shown (1) that in as little as four days of starting your daily practice you may experience an increase in your ability to concentrate on tasks.
By expanding your ability to focus on tasks more intently, you’re less likely to get side tracked by distractions or scattered thinking, thus increasing your overall productivity.
3. Meditating In The Morning Enhances Your Self Awareness
Self awareness is the process of looking within and reconnecting to your true self both physically and spiritually. By practicing self awareness you’re able to connect to your needs, wants and desires on a deep level. Which in turn gives you an awareness that allows you to live an overall more fulfilling and richly rewarding life.
In order for you to explore your inner world of self awareness you must set aside time on a daily basis to have quiet both within and without. This is where meditating in the morning helps. Taking the time for inner contemplation upon first waking, is ideal for tuning into and staying connected to your deepest self through out the day.
4. Increases Your Sense of Purpose and Meaning
It easy to get caught up in the stresses and demands of our daily routines and in the process lose your sense of purpose and meaning. The more you meditate, the more you become present and connected with yourself, the world and the divine.
This enables you to move through your life seeing the little miracles that exist from moment to moment. Assisting in restoring a sense of balance and meaning to one’s life.
“If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” – Amit Ray
5. You Start Your Morning With a Clean Slate
A morning practice makes it easier to release trapped emotions and scattered thoughts. Instead of feeling powerless and overcome with things beyond your control, you’re more easily able to let go of yesterdays problems.
Empowered to start the day fresh by setting the tone for the day that you want to have. Happy and optimistic at what lays ahead.
6. Meditating in the Morning Boosts Creativity
It’s no accident that mega successful celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Jennifer Lopez, Katy Perry, Russell Brand, Paul McCartney and Jerry Seinfeld have all credited meditation a huge part of their success in life.
Whether you’re an artist, writer, musician, scientist, inventor, entrepreneur or simply want more creativity and fun in your life there are common threads to the process. (2) Imagination, intuition, concentration, memory and critical thinking all play a role creative freedom and the ability to form ideas into creating something new. (3)
Would like to go through your day feeling more creative and inspired? Why not try this guided meditation for creativity from the honest guys:
7. Morning Meditation Gives You More Energy
While we still have not replaced our morning cup of joe, others swear that their daily morning practice gives them all the energy they need to start the day. While meditating in the morning can support you in feeling more awake and alert first thing, it also benefits you by maintaining consistent energy levels through the day.
- It helps the body to effectively deal with daily pressures by decreasing the body’s natural stress responses.
- Activates your autonomic and parasympathetic nervous systems boosting natural endorphins for energy that lasts.
- With a daily practice you sleep better, which with a goodnights rest under your belt, allows you to wake up feeling fully recharged and ready to go.
8. You Begin To Make Healthier Food Choices
Research has shown that when people are tired and stressed they tend to crave unhealthy processed foods or comfort foods that are usually filled with saturated fat or refined sugars. By reducing your stress levels though daily practice, it can influence you to make healthier choices in your daily diet. In fact, in the long run you may even find you stop craving sugary or fatty foods altogether!
9. You Counteract Daily Stress and Anxiety
One of the biggest challenges of life is being able to handle whatever the day brings you. Meditation is the perfect way to counteract stress and anxiety and has been proven to have multiple benefits in this area. Notably in supporting the reduction of cortisol.
Cortisol is a stress-induced hormone that is now considered one of the major causes that contribute to burnout. This hormone can suppress the immune system, cause anxiety, inflammation, brain fog, depression, insomnia and the list goes on. Basically its something you want to reduce and avoid whenever possible!
Meditating first thing when you rise is excellent for putting systems in place that support you as you encounter any stresses in your day. Keeping your cortisol levels low and supporting a prolonged feeling of balance and inner-peace. (4)
10. It Can Make You A Better Leader
Would you like to improve your leadership skills? According to Dr. Daniel Goleman, (5) a world-renowned psychologist, author and Emotional Intelligence coach Being an effective leader and successful in your day to day life requires being emotionally Intelligent. This consists of four parts: Self-awareness, Social awareness, Self-management and the ability to manage relationships.
11. You’ll Be Less Likely To Get Sick (According To Science)
Do you find yourself getting sick more often than you’d like? A morning practice gives you a solid foundation that builds core physical and psychological benefits, including energy and strength. (7) All which support in regulating blood pressure, metabolism, hormones and improve overall immune function. (8) Making your body more resistant to viruses and infections.
12. You’ll Feel More Connected
As humans we crave a sense of connection and belonging , but many of us still feel disconnected from those around us. Meditation has been shown to decrease the feeling of separateness and increase compassion, empathy and a sense of social connectedness. (9)
In particular, using a technique known for increasing connectedness, like metta meditation can help you experience more moments of love and connection. Metta or loving kindness meditation, allows you to create kind thoughts and feelings towards yourself and then extend those feeling compassionately outward towards others.
By increasing positive thoughts, feelings and actions for both yourself and others you able to start your day off on the right foot knowing that you are supported, connected and loved.
How To Meditate In The Morning
Another reason to meditate in the morning? Is that it’s one of the easiest times of day to make meditation part of your daily routine., Which is key to actually experiencing those benefits. Below you’ll find a simple step by step guide of how to meditate in the morning.
Daily Morning Meditation Routine
1. First get comfortable and find a quiet meditation space. You can create a special place in your home with a meditation cushion set, sit on a chair or sit or lay in your bed. For a list of the best and most comfortable cushions sets read our post: The 7 Top Zabu & Zabuton Cushion Sets (meditate in total comfort).
2. Next, gently allow your eyes to close and take a few deep relaxing breaths in and out. Allow your shoulders to fall and your body to settle into your space.
3. Begin to tune into the rhythm of your natural breath pattern. For a few moments allow yourself to just be and observe your breath.
4. Next, begin to breathe in through your nose for 6 seconds and out through your mouth for 6 seconds. Let your breath flow though you.
5. Allow it to move through your body. From the top of your head to the tips of your toes, feel your body relaxing. Allow a sense of calm wash over you.
6. Become an observer and allow your thoughts to drift gently by. Release judgement and just be in the moment.
7. Anytime you find your mind beginning to wander simply come back to your breath. Repeat this pattern as many times as you need to.
8. Meditate for as long as feels right for you. If you’re a beginner you might want to start with just 2 minutes and work your way up to 10, 20, 30 minutes or even an hour.
9. Once you feel your meditation is complete begin to slowly bring your awareness back into your body. Allow your eyes to gently flutter open. Feel the ground beneath your body, breathe in and out and allow yourself to reconnect with the earth.
10. Take in one more deep breath in and let it out. Place your hands on your heart chakra which is located in the middle of your chest. Take a moment to express gratitude for yourself and for divine presence supporting you. Feel grateful for your day and all the opportunities that lay ahead.
When To Meditate In The Morning
To get the most benefits from your morning practice creating a daily meditation routine is key. Most people find that making it a habit first thing in the morning, when both your body and your mind are the most refreshed is easiest in the long run.
Ideally, before you have breakfast, and especially before you plug into the the daily stresses of modern life, like checking emails and scrolling through your social media.
How Long To Meditate In The Morning
The meditation routine you create in the morning will set the tone for your entire day. If you’re a beginner start out with just 5 minutes and build from there. If you’re more advanced you can go for as little as 20 minutes to 1 hour and beyond. Or for as long as feels right for you.
What’s most important is that you are consistent with your daily practice. Your ability to meditate for an extended length of time will naturally increase the more you do it.
Keys To Starting Your Day Off Right
How you wake up and how you start your day sets the tone for your whole day. Why not start your day off on the right foot by doing a sacred self care practice, like a morning meditation that supports you, mind, body and spirit? One that builds connection, improves self esteem, brain function, makes you feel healthier, less stressed and more creative.
If you want to improve your life, then enjoying all the benefits of meditation in the morning seem like a no brainer. If you are new to the practice or “not a morning person”, I encourage you to give it a try for at least 10 days. I’ve heard even biggest doubters be converted into raving fans, once their practice becomes a habit. Here’s to you starting your day with presence and peace!
More Articles That Will Improve Your Meditation Practice
Save the 12 Inspiring Benefits Of Morning Meditation (+ How to Meditate In the Morning) on Pinterest
Some recommended products may use affiliate links. In particular as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This will not cost you anything or increase prices. This does not affect our reviews, which are as impartial as possible.